- Choose a home care service/ nursing agency which specializes in the placement of qualified and professional Caregivers & Nursing Assistants.
- Ensure the home care service/ nursing agency is a registered employment service.
It is important that the agency is compliant with labour legislation as you the Client could be held dually and severally liable for their actions.
- Use an established home care service/ nursing agency – be careful of fly by nights – find out how long the agency has been serving the community. Check recent references from previous clientele.
- Does the home care service/ nursing agency have an afterhour’s contact number? Can they provide you with a backup Caregiver or Nursing Assistant if your current Carer or Nursing Assistant cannot make it to work?
- Does the agency have a Professional Nurse available for assessment of the person requiring care? The Nurse should evaluate the patients home care needs and advise both the family and the Caregiver or Nursing Assistant on the best care plan for the patient.
- Does the home care service/ nursing agency provide literature clearly explaining the services which it provides as well as the relevant costs associated with these services?
- Is the home care service/ nursing agency a professional organization? Is all literature and correspondence clear and precise? Is their approach professional? Do they return phone calls and attend to emails timeously? Are fees transparent and readily available? Does the agency provide clear terms & conditions of service?